PDF version available here: President’s Contests 2019
Missouri Writers Guild 2019 President’s Contest
President’s Contest Categories
Walter Williams Award
Named in honor of the founder of the MWG. This should be a major work, whether in book form or in
some other form of publication that is worthy of special recognition because of the research or high literary
quality involved in its creation.
This award is open to any type of publication or production, including fiction, nonfiction, scripts, poetry
(as in a poetry collection in a book), books, and anthologies (if sole author or editor) published in the last
calendar year (2018). Self-published books are not allowed in this category.
You must be a member of the Guild to enter this category.
“Show Me” Your Best Award
This award is for a work of fiction, nonfiction, or poetry published in book form. The book must have
Missouri incorporated into it, showing the appreciation for the people, land, and culture of the state.
Howard Kelly Holladay Memorial Award for the Best Article or Essay on U. S. Military History
This award is for the best nonfiction article or essay published in a magazine, newspaper, or anthology
during the previous year related to any aspect of American military history.
Best Magazine Article
Best Newspaper Article
Best MWG Chapter Anthology
Best Short Story
May be published in a magazine, newspaper, book, or anthology, and be paid in dollars or copies.
Best Juvenile Short Work (non-book)
May be published in a magazine, newspaper, book, or anthology. Should be for children or young adult
Best Young Author Short Story
Open to aspiring authors ages 12-18. Must also submit parent/guardian permission slip if under 18. Up
to 2500 words.
(Note: The president reserves the right to consolidate or cancel categories receiving fewer than seven
Rules and Guidelines
- The President’s Contest categories are open to any US writer, with the exception of the Walter
Williams Award. This category is ONLY open to members of the Missouri Writers Guild. In cases of coauthorship,
both authors must meet this criterion.
- All works must have been published, presented, or performed in the 2018 calendar year.
- The entry fee for all contests is $15.
- Entries must have received a royalty or payment for the writer, whether from a publisher or through
- Electronic entries (book, newspaper, or magazine) may be entered in any appropriate category.
- Multiple categories may be entered, with a separate entry fee for each.
- Only one submission per category is allowed.
- May not submit the same work in more than one category.
- All books must have an ISBN.
Submission Procedures for President’s Contests
Poor quality submissions will be disqualified. Therefore, entries that are tattered, smeared, difficult to
read, poor quality photocopy, or otherwise unprofessional looking may be disqualified.
- Books (Walter Williams, Show Me, Chapter Anthology):
Send one copy of print book. Send .pdf or Mobi file of eBook. Books will not be returned, but donated
to libraries, schools, or Missouri Writers Guild chapters. See #8 below for mailing addresses.
- Newspaper article or column, magazine article, poem, short story:
Send one copy of each entry, as published. Photocopy is acceptable for articles and poems. Send printout
of electronic publications or valid link to
- Materials submitted for the contest will not be returned.
- With each entry, send a cover sheet which includes:
The writer’s name, address, telephone number, and e-mail address, and the title of the submission and the
publisher’s name and date of publication.
- Entry fee:
Entry fees should be remitted by check or money order, payable to the Missouri Writers Guild, in the
total amount for all entries submitted. Checks or money orders may be mailed to:
Missouri Writers Guild, PO Box 190235, St. Louis 63119-9998
Alternatively, the entry fee may be paid through PayPal, using our PayPal recipient address:
- Disqualification: Entries that do not follow the guidelines will be disqualified and the entry fee will not
be returned. Any entries not meeting the requirements of these rules may be disqualified at the discretion of
the contest coordinator of the Missouri Writers Guild Contest.
- Entry period/deadline: Submissions for the President’s Contests must be postmarked between January
1, 2018, and midnight January 31, 2019. MWG is not responsible for any lost or misdirected mail or mail with
- Mail physical book entries with sufficient postage to the following as per category entered.
Missouri Writers Guild, 281 CR 2600, Edgar Springs, MO 65462
Email all other entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For questions, contact email@example.com.
- Names of contest winners, sponsors, and judges will be announced at the annual MWG conference
and business meeting on May 18, 2019.
Walter Williams Awards
First place receives $100 and a plaque, second place receives $50 and a certificate, third place receives $25
and a certificate. Honorable mentions may be named at the discretion of the judges.
“Show Me” Your Best Awards
First place receives $50 and a certificate, second place receives $25 and a certificate, third place receives
$15 and a certificate. Honorable mentions may be named at the discretion of the judges.
Other Category Awards
First place receives $30 and a certificate, second place receives $20 and a certificate, third place receives
$15 and a certificate.
Honorable mentions may be named at the discretion of the judges.
In accordance with Article X, section 3 of the MWG bylaws: Awards may be given at the judges’
discretion. If there are fewer than seven entries in any category, except for the Walter Williams Award, no
prizes will be given in that category, unless in the judges’ opinion the work submitted is of such quality as to
merit recognition. Similarly, the Walter Williams Award may be withheld if, in the opinion of the judges, no
material of sufficient literary merit is submitted.
Awards will be announced at the annual Missouri Writers Guild banquet on May 18, 2019.